Worth the Risk
November 17, 2011 § 1 Comment
Now is not the time to take risks.
If you are like me you have a 401(k) or a 403(b) and each quarter you receive your statements and see inconsistency as your investment goes up and down and down some more. You watch the occupy Wall Street protests in some major cities in our country and on top of that you hear that a country with 11 million people like Greece has an impact on the bottom line of your retirement account.
In this environment?
But in the words of Lee Corso, “Not so fast my friend.”
We make investments expecting a return that will be more than what we put into it. We weigh a good investment versus a bad investment based upon how much money the investment brings. Some people invest in the stock market… others invest in gold…
Let me suggest a more reliable investment.
In an environment where you’re not sure what is going to happen next, I want to challenge you to raise the risk and find someone to invest in instead of something. Finding a person of true character and not one who is a character may take some time and an intentional effort, but when it happens, you will find an investment worth the risk.
Invest in People:
(1) Who live for something bigger than themselves
(2) Who are actively doing something
(3) Who have a vision for the future
(4) Who are content in their current circumstances
(5) Who serve others without bias
(6) Who are humble in spirit
(7) Who have more questions than answers
(8) Who learn from their mistakes
(9) Who can win and lose with class
(10) Who have overcome adversity
Raise the Risk Challenge:
- Think back on your past. Who took a risk on you or gave you a break that helped propel you to success?
- In your sphere of influence, who would be a good person to invest in that you feel would be worth the risk?
- What would you add to the list above… what do you look for in others?